Serve on the Desert Ridge Community Association Board of Directors
The Desert Ridge Community Association Nominating Committee is pleased to announce the 2013 election for four (4) open seats on the Board of Directors. The election results will be announced during the Association’s Annual Membership Meeting and Election on Thursday, April 18, 2013. However, there are several steps and events that will take place between now and then. Here are a few key dates in 2013, to keep in mind:
• FEBRUARY 14 – Board Candidate application forms due to the Association office on High Street.
• FEBRUARY 27 – DRCA Board of Directors meeting Board Candidates Meet and Greet/Q&A at 6 p.m. at the Association office on High Street.
• March 16 – DRCA Board of Directors meeting Board Candidates Meet and Greet/Q&A at the Cashman Park Spring Picnic from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
• April 11 – Mail-in ballots for election of Board of Directors due from all members to the Association office by 5 p.m.
• April 18 – 7:00 p.m., Annual Meeting and announcement of election results will be held at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa.
BOARD CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS
The qualifications established by the Desert Ridge Community Association’s (“Association”) Declaration of Covenants, Conditions, Restrictions and Easements for Desert Ridge as recorded and amended (CC&R’s) and the Association’s Nominating Committee per Section 3.8 of the Association’s Bylaws for being nominated to serve on the Board are listed below. Please review each item closely before submitting your Candidate Form for consideration.
ALL CANDIDATES MUST BE:
As required per the CC&R’s, all items must be complied with through the election at the Annual Meeting:
• An entity owner of record in the Association or a representative of an entity owner of record in the Association. If you are a representative of a confirmed entity owner of record you must provide a signed, notarized letter from the owner of record, appointing you as its’ representative.
• A member in good standing, with all assessments current (no more than 30 days delinquent) and no outstanding violation of the CC&R’s.
• Not have member rights suspended by the Board of Directors for any violations of the Association’s governing documents.
• Not be involved in current litigation regarding compliance or dispute with Association’s governing documents.
• Commit to attend regularly scheduled board meetings (at least once a month), as well as the additional time that may be required in order to participate at the committee level.
Established by the Association’s Nominating Committee:
• All candidates are required to attend one (1) “Meet the Candidate” event either the Board of Directors Meeting on Wednesday, February 27, at 6 p.m. or the Cashman Park Spring Picnic on March 16 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Must attend the Annual Meeting – 7:00 p.m., Thursday, April 18, 2013.
• Must attend the Organizational Meeting scheduled within 5 business days of the Annual Meeting.
• Must attend Board Member training, scheduled within 10 business days of the Annual Meeting.
Please contact Terrance Smith, Community General Manager, at the Desert Ridge Community Association office at 480-551-4550 or by email to email@example.com for more information. Thank you for your valued interest and participation in our community!
Board Candidate FAQ’s
What does the Nominating Committee do?
The Nominating Committee’s primary function is to ensure that the community has well qualified candidates nominated from the Desert Ridge community to serve as Members of the Community Association Board of Directors.
What does the Nominating Committee have planned for this year?
A Board candidate announcement was included in the Holiday 2012 issue of the DRL Magazine. This issue contains the board candidate qualifications and email address for the application forms. A “Meet the Candidate” event at the Cashman Park Spring Picnic is scheduled for Saturday, March 16, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. so that members of the community can meet prospective Board Members.
How many positions are available this year and how long will my term be?
Out of the seven member seats on the Board of Directors, there are four seats on the Board of Directors that are available for election in 2013. Directors are elected to serve two year terms. This year, one of the available seats is a result of a Director resignation in 2012; this position will be elected for a one year term to complete the original unexpired two year term. The remaining three positions will serve two year terms.
What is the process for running for a position on the Board?
Contact the Association office at: 480-551-4550 or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the Association office (5415 E. High Street, Suite 220, Phoenix 85054) to pick up the application. Return all application forms to the Association office no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, February 15. In addition, candidates are strongly encouraged to attend one (1) “Meet the Candidate” event on Wednesday February 27, or on Saturday, March 16. Candidates must attend the Desert Ridge Community Association Annual Membership Meeting and Election on Thursday, April 18.
What are the Directors’ responsibilities?
The Desert Ridge Community Association is an Arizona-chartered, nonprofit organization. Directors are responsible for operating and maintaining the “common area” property of the community, reviewing and approving all site plans and improvements within the community, and providing coordination and oversight of the Subsidiary Associations. Luckily, we have a management company that handles most of the day-to-day operations.
What is the time commitment needed while serving on the Board?
The Board typically holds one Open Session and one Executive Session per month, which takes approximately 3 hours, combined. Sometimes there are ad-hoc meetings called, but that is more the exception than the rule. Depending on which committee you would like to be involved with, an additional 1-2 hours per week may be required. Typically, the time commitment averages about 8 hours a month.
When and where are the Board of Directors Meetings?
The meeting schedule is actually created by the Board of Directors. Our current meeting schedule is the 4th Wednesday of each month at 6:00 p.m., at CityCenter of CityNorth, Desert Ridge Community Association Office Conference Room, 5415 E. High Street, Suite 220, Phoenix 85054.
Do you incur personal liability by serving on the Board?
Generally, as long as a Director acts in good faith with the best interests of the community first, doesn’t break any laws, or have any personal benefit, the Association indemnifies the Directors. The Association’s Articles of Incorporation provide the most comprehensive explanation of liability. Please read and understand them fully for yourself. The Articles of Incorporation can be found on RossmarConnect, the community information website, or the CD.
How does the election actually work?
There is a one vote per lot for each available position on the board. A qualified Owner will be able to cast one vote for up to 4 candidates.
Do developers and commercial entities get to vote?
Yes, qualified developers and commercial entities get to vote. The Desert Ridge Board is not a Homeowners Association, it is a Community Association. One of the great things about Desert Ridge is that it is still a relatively young development, and only about 35% of the total lots have homes built on them. Since the voting is determined per lot, there is still significant involvement by private and commercial developers and the Master Developer. The Master Developer actually casts votes for all land held by the Arizona State Land Dept.
Tips for people who are running:
Get out there and talk to your neighbors – ask them what their concerns are for the community. Let them know you’re running. Candidates may speak with developers as well as the commercial interests. And thank you for getting involved!